Sunday, May 19, 2013
I'm "that" American
Yesterday I began my long voyage to the great and wonderful, Italy. Mum and me woke up late- shocker there, us Ziemski's love our sleep, but thankfully our flight to Philly was delayed. Once we got to Philly, I sat in the American Airlines club and stuffed my face with multigrain chips and Shirley Temples for what felt like an eternity. Finally, I went downstairs to board my plane. Gathering my things and making my way to the elevators, I had a rush of uncertainty and fear that I was making the wrong choice. That I should be home with my family and friends, working the summer away and not heading off to Rome where I knew nobody and knew no way of interacting with these people. Basically hyperventilating, I boarded the plane.
It was the largest plane I have ever been on, with the smallest seats imaginable- such a let down. There were two seats by each window, with a row of 4 in between the two. The first class section was about 12 rows, the main cabin was about 30, and the last section of the plane looked to be 12-15. I couldn't even see the back of my section and I was in row 12 of the middle part! Even though the plane was so large, it would be my luck to get stuck sitting next to the ONLY crying baby. So along with that and the fact that the seats were smaller than regular sized planes, I did not sleep at all and I was awake for over 24 hours at a point.
When we landed, it only took me three tries to find the baggage claim for my flight! As soon as I found my bags, I followed the signs for customs. I passed some security guard and then saw doors for the exit. Apparently, they don't care what you bring into this country because I wasn't even stopped, and the customs booth does not exist in that airport. :) After getting through customs, I should have turned right to go up two flights of escalators, but I did not see them because there was a huge wall in front of them covered in papers, so I avoided that way and turned left. For 45 minutes, I followed these signs that I assumed meant 'hotel' because it had a bed looking thing and a piece of luggage, but when the signs stopped and another baggage claim appeared, I knew I wasn't in the right place. I had to ask this poor information lady 3 times where I was and how to get to the Hilton, and she just laughed at me because I had no idea what she was saying. So after making a fool of myself, while looking like a wet dog because I was sweating and had gone over 24 hours without bathing, I finally found my way to the hotel. I stood in a TINY elevator to go to the lobby for 15 minutes because I didn't know 'Piano 0' meant "Floor 0.' They don't use G and L for Ground level, just 0.
I finally got to my room, showered and laid in the king sized bed, and then played with all the controls in the bathroom. Here, the flush is on the wall, and the little circle is for liquid waste, and the larger one is for solid waste. Then there was the Bidet! And they have a special towel rack behind the bidet, for a smallish towel that you use to clean yourself after using it-- EW. I feel sorry for the housekeeping that has to touch all those towels.
Tomorrow is the start of me being a student at John Cabot University. They're picking us up in the lobby and then I'm off to my apartment! I'm really nervous to meet my roommate(s), because I could have either one or up to eight. I just hope everyone gets along and nobody gets too "cliquey." I'm excited and nervous and exhausted and a whole mix of emotions right now, so hopefully I won't fall apart!
Arrivederci
Julius the cat says, "Goodbye America, hello Rome!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the picture :]
ReplyDeleteIt's Caesar!!
ReplyDelete